It's common that governments request to export the information for each process from a workflow in a specific format. The information contained in a permit document might be required to be in a specific format by policy or statute, or an external agency (like a state regulatory agency) might require you to provide information on their specific form.
CityGrows offers a standard, simple PDF summary export format with some standard customization (header, footer, intro and outro text, and the ability to select which fields appear). This is the default option on all workflows.
If you choose, you can create one customized export format per workflow, so you can create that Zoning Permit in a traditional "Certificate" format or an oversized load permit in the style required by a transportation agency. We firmly believe that PDFs are a not the best way to collect information, but sometimes outside organizations require that information be configured in a certain way for export. Here's how to set it up a custom PDF export:
- Use a PDF tool like Adobe Acrobat to build a fillable PDF with fillable fields in all the places you want data from each application to appear. Here's a guide to making a fillable PDF. Name each "destination" field in your fillable PDF as you create it, to make mapping the information to the document possible. You can map data to text fields or map multiple choice answers either all to one destination field, or even to individual checkbox "answer" fields if you prefer.
2. Go to the Settings tab of the workflow, click on Summary Document.
3. Select Custom (use a custom uploaded PDF) option
4. Upload the fillable PDF you've already created. Once you do, you'll see a screen like this where you can map specific fields in order to the fields on the PDF. It is extremely important that you've labeled each field in your fillable PDF so you know which field to map what data to. You can map any type of data field and also map signature images you've captured from a Collect Info or Review step onto the PDF, as well as approval dates, process ID number, and formula results.
5. Please be sure to fully test your custom PDF configuration internally: you can test it yourself and have some of your colleagues pretend to be applicants to test the full workflow, including the export) to make sure it looks the way you expect.
6. Please note that if you change ANY of the source fields for your custom PDF export, it will no longer work and you'll need to remap the fields.
Please share any feedback or challenges with this feature via the Intercom chat option or via [email protected]