Sometimes you have to export the information from an application in a specific format. The information contained in a permit document might be required by policy or statute, or an external agency (like a state regulatory agency) might require you to provide information on their form.
CityGrows offers a standard, simple PDF summary export format with some standard customization (header, footer, intro and outro text, and the ability to select which fields appear). But some organizations requested more flexibility than that.
Additionally, you can create one customized export format per workflow template, so you can create that Zoning Permit in a traditional "Certificate" format or an oversized load permit in the style required by a transportation agency. We firmly believe that PDFs are a terrible way to collect information, but sometimes outside organizations require that information be configured that way for export. Here's how to set it up:
- Build a fillable PDF with fillable fields in all the places you want data from each application to appear. Here's a guide to making a fillable PDF. We recommend naming each "destination" field in your fillable PDF as you create it, that will make mapping the information to the document much easier, espe3cially if you are trying to map more than just a few fields. You can map data to text fields or map multiple choice answers either all to one destination field, or even to individual checkbox "answer" fields if you prefer.
- Open up the document settings on your template.
3. Select the custom PDF export option
4. Upload the fillable PDF you've already created. Once you do, you'll see a screen like this where you can map specific fields in order to the fields on the PDF. As you can see, we have a fairly basic interface right now, so it may take a little trial and error to get the right fields in the right place. You can map any type of data field and also map signature images you've captured from a Collect Info or Review step onto the PDF.
5. Please be sure to fully test your custom PDF configuration internally: you can test it yourself and have some of your colleagues pretend to be applicants to test the full template process, including the export) to make sure it looks the way you expect.
Please share any feedback or challenges with this feature via the Intercom chat option or via [email protected]